All 36 art Reviews

Realism Practice Realism Practice

Would love to see a video of this speedpaint. The hair technique would be especially useful to see.

Trunchbull responds:

Unfortunately didn't record the process. Sorry.

Night Giant Night Giant

Love the atmosphere of this one. The beast could be a tad darker but thats just nitpicking. Even though overall its a fairly simple piece when you really stop to look at it, it still has just enough detail that it fools the eye into seeing a much more elaborate piece. But again, its the air quality and atmosphere that really send this one home.

Amaruuk responds:

Thank you!

Dirigifish Dirigifish

Much stronger than the rest of your work. The color, the composition, the subject matter, everything is infinitley stronger in this piece than the others. The line work is free flowing but deliberate, and the line weights are actually properly done despite being sketchy in nature. The coloring is where this really stands out, the nice uniform complimentary dusk pallet works excellently for this piece.

takopako responds:

Thank you for the fleshed out critique!

Sign of the Cross Sign of the Cross

Genius

Awesome idea. Nice clean execution as well, which is crucial for a t-shirt design as well as something that needs to get the point across nice and quick.

I love my Marine I love my Marine

Valiant Effort, hindered by color

Conceptually you are on your way. The composition isn't as cliche or haphazard as most art of this style. But a bit more observation and study of clothing dynamics would greatly help future pieces. You've got a wonderful idea of the scarf as a unifying element to guide the eye, but its flatness doesn't entice the viewer to actually follow it properly.

If the coloring and filling in of the lines wasnt so messy and arbitrary this piece could be much more dynamic, even if the line work isnt perfect.

Also lined paper..... tsk tsk.

tarahloveshentai responds:

This was on a letter to a friend so I wasn't going for clean or anything. I suppose I should have put it under sketch rather than art.

Since I do the old school way of paper and colored pencils, I find it hard to tie in a background or anything. I wish I could learn to do art on the computer, that way everything gets filled in and comes out very clean.

Thank you for your commentary though, it was really helpful.

Oh Dae-su Oh Dae-su

Great expression

Interesting change from your usual style. I like. Great movie, great character as well. Really captured his desperate lunacy here.

Constructing Realities:Cyanide Constructing Realities:Cyanide

First one is by far the strongest

Peabody library much?

The second is alright, the water fall makes the composition, but feels slightly pasted on and out of place at the same time.

The 3rd reminds me too much of one of those early 90s CG animations filled with flatly texturized objects and surface.

radiodark responds:

i wanted to make an awesome room, and the peabody library kept coming to mind. can't imagine why.

Rise in the Sunlight Rise in the Sunlight

Not impressed

Taking a rather poor drawing and then photographing it poorly to make it look a bit better through color and arbitrarily cast shadows doesnt convice me that you have any actual artistic skills.

All it says is that you are a miserable photographer and need desperate help with photographing your work.

Poor photo quality aside the drawing is weak, appears to have taken 15 minutes, does nothing to show that you understand line weight (crucial for such a linear drawing) and having the imprint of notes taken on the pages preceding it is just downright sloppy.

GobyGuitar responds:

hhhhh man chill out...
did i kill one of your family members by mistake or smthn ??
i mean this thing was meant to be simple i drew it in the class ...and took the photo with my 1.3 mp phone camera , its not like i have a 9023mp camera hidden in my pocket lol ....
[and btw i ddnt color it or add shadows on the PC thats the photo as it is]
i checked ur profile and am just gonna take a guess and say u have been drawing for a long time and its more than a hoppy for u ,,but did u start drawing frkn angels out of the sudden o.O''
every one starts some where ...
but thx 4 the comment any way

Lion Lion

Weakest of your animals.

This one seems much more binary as far as the shading goes, and by that i mean two toned. The picture is either black or white, and this flattens it out. Also the crispness that the others thrived on this lacks which makes the charcoal handeling seem sloppy and lack of a definite focal point makes the viewer lose their attention faster.

On the plus side the composition of this one is much stronger, with more intelligently placed subject rather than the typical horseshoe or dead center format that so many other pictures rely upon.

MoriChax responds:

Yeah I got a little lazy with the charcoal on this one, furs a beach.
But thank you for your critique. Im always happier when I get one thats constructive, I wish more people would do it.

Belly Dancer Belly Dancer

Needs work

First I would like to say, invest in some better paper. The paper you are working on for this technique and media is grossly inappropriate and is making your work suffer.

Second, I can tell you are pretty heavy handed, based on this and your other works. This is hurting your control of the material. Work slower, with lighter strokes, especially when you are working with wet mediums. Layering works better and has much more satisfying results than just dunking a brush in water and smearing it about. Try dry brushing some stuff, or using a brush with barely any water and note the effects they give, it might help solidify your piece instead of making it look messy and overly washed.

Finally, the composition is much better in this than some of your other pieces, you do a decent job of moving the eye around the piece due to the pose and appropriate amounts of objects outside of the figure.